Caring for your Craft Beer Glass
Finding the perfect glass to match your beer isn't the end of the story. The glass has to be cleaned properly so that you can thoroughly enjoy your beer. Don't worry, it's simple stuff. Here is everything you need to know about getting that perfect glass clean.
- 1. Clean you beer glasses in the sink with a mild dish soap and a clean sponge or towel. If you clean the beer glass properly, you will notice a consistent lacing from the beer left on the glass. Spotty or random lacing is a sign of a dirty glass.
- 2. Thoroughly rinse your glass with clean, fresh water. Leftover soap residue will kill the head on your beer and add undesirable flavors.
- 3. Let the glass air dry or dry them by hand with a clint, lint free towel.
- 4. Store your glass in a clean, dry environment. If you store the glass upside down, it will prevent contaminants from falling into the glass. Do not place your glassware in the freezer. The frost that forms on the glass will melt when you pour your beer into it. This causes your beer to become diluted and adds off flavors from the freezer itself.
- Note on dishwashers: While running your glasses through the dishwasher may seem like a viable option, it can be a risk. Glasses may break from the high temperatures introduced in consumer dishwashers. Often, soap and hard water residue is left behind on glasses in the dishwasher. This will cause excessive foaming and off tastes in your craft beer.
Follow these simple guidelines and you will be rewarded with tasty beer and perfect lacing. In the end, it's worth the little bit of extra effort.